1 volto, 3 persone

We Are The Not Dead


We Are The Not Dead è il lavoro del fotografo inglese Lalage Snow che egli descrive così:

"Una serie di ritratti di soldati britannici su un periodo di otto mesi , prima, durante e dopo il loro impiego operativo in Afghanistan. I ritratti sono sottotitolati con i pensieri ei sentimenti di ciascun individuo. Essi parlano di paura, di essere feriti, della perdita di un fratello soldato, della mancanza casa, dell'emozione del ritorno a casa e come è la vita in prima linea"

Second Lieutenant Adam Petzsch, 25
6th March , Edinburgh: “I suppose I am a bit apprehensive but I want to see what it is really like. It is what I joined the army for but I don’t know what to expect.”
19th June, Compound 19, Nad-Ali, after an IED incident: “It was my first IED incident and first casualty. You don’t think about it till afterwards though as your priority is getting the guy away and back into safety. Then you start thinking about what happened, if it was preventable, if it was your fault in anyway and how the others are doing. Before we were on this op I was thinking about how quiet the tour had been and that we had to be careful and fight complacency.”
10th October, Edinburgh: “We took over a new compound and if we ventured any more than two or three hundred metres we got shot at. At the start of the tour you could patrol kilometres away and no one would touch you. But I think yes, in parts we are making a difference.”


Private Jo Yavala, 28
9th March, Edinburgh: “I am going to miss my family. I have been to Iraq before but not Afghanistan. I don’t know what to expect but am looking forward to getting out there now.”
Compound 19, Nad Ali, after an IED: “I had a funny feeling about this patrol. heard the bang and heard on the radio ‘man down’ It was the first casualty I have seen. It was pretty awful. I saw the medic treating him, He had no leg. I went back to where it had exploded and then saw his boot floating in the water. Just an empty boot.”
10th October, Edinburgh: “In the morning when I wake up and in the evening before bed. But out there I was just praying all the time, thinking of my family at home. Sometimes I’d pray during during a patrol itself. I was scared. Especially when in contact, you don’t know what will happen. I was expecting the worst. Right now I feel a little bit angry, sometimes my temperture rises very quickly especially if I stay too long inside. Sometimes I miss being with all they guys. For the first few days I had difficulty sleeping. I dreamt about different things that happened in Afghan. A few nights I woke up crying.”




Per vedere il resto:

Qui, direttamente sul sito di Lalage Snow, potete vedere questo lavoro in forma originale e altri interessanti lavori al completo.
Qui, sul sito del Telegraph, si possono leggere le interviste ai soldati in lingua originale.


Commenti

Post più popolari